Hey there! If you’re reading this, chances are you’re considering investing in a whole home generator. Whether it’s to protect your family during stormy seasons or simply for peace of mind in case of power outage emergencies, having a reliable generator is not a luxury, but a necessity. In this review, we’ll be comparing the two biggest players in whole home generators – Kohler and Generac. Let’s dive right in!
Kohler whole home generator
Kohler is a well-known brand in the home appliances industry, and their whole home generator certainly lives up to their reputation. This generator is designed to be permanently installed outside of your home, and is capable of powering all the essential appliances you’ll need during an outage.
Features and benefits
The Kohler whole home generator offers a variety of features that make it an excellent choice for homeowners. It offers automatic backup power in case of an outage, and is equipped with Kohler’s PowerBoost technology, which means it can handle even the most demanding power loads. The generator also has an automatic transfer switch, which means you don’t have to worry about manually switching it on during a blackout.
Pros and cons
Some of the pros of the Kohler whole home generator include its high build quality, excellent reliability, and ease of use. However, one downside may be its higher price point compared to other brands.
Pricing and warranty
The Kohler whole home generator ranges in price depending on the size and model you choose, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000. Kohler also offers a 5-year limited warranty on their generators.
Generac whole home generator
Generac is another well-known brand in the generator industry, and their whole home generator is a popular choice among homeowners. Like the Kohler generator, the Generac generator is designed to be installed outside of your home and can power all the essential appliances during an outage.
Features and benefits
The Generac whole home generator has a wide variety of features, including automatic backup power, a durable steel enclosure, and Generac’s own Quiet-Test technology, which means it runs at a lower RPM during its weekly self-test, resulting in significantly quieter operation than most other brands. The generator is also designed to be easy to install and maintain.
Pros and cons
Generac’s whole home generator is known for its reliability and ease of use, with many customers reporting satisfaction with their purchase. However, some users have reported the generator’s noise level during operation to be louder than expected.
Pricing and warranty
Generac’s whole home generator is generally less expensive than the Kohler brand, with prices ranging from $3,000 to $8,000. Generac also offers a comprehensive 5-year limited warranty on their generators.
Comparison of Kohler vs Generac whole home generator
When it comes to comparing Kohler vs Generac whole home generators, both brands offer similar features and benefits. However, there are some key differences to consider when making your decision.
- Both brands offer automatic backup power and automatic transfer switches
- Kohler uses PowerBoost technology, while Generac uses Quiet-Test technology
- Kohler may be more expensive than Generac, but also may have higher build quality
Which brand will suit your needs better?
Ultimately, the decision between Kohler and Generac will come down to your personal preferences and needs. If you’re looking for a generator that’s exceptionally reliable and built to last, Kohler may be the better choice for you. However, if you’re on a tighter budget and prefer a quieter operation during operation, the Generac generator may be a better fit.
User reviews and feedback
When it comes to making a purchase like a whole home generator, user reviews and feedback can be invaluable. Let’s take a look at what customers have to say about both the Kohler and Generac whole home generators.
Reviews from customers who have purchased Kohler whole home generator
Many Kohler customers report high levels of satisfaction with their purchase, citing exceptional reliability and peace of mind during power outages. Some customers have reported minor issues, such as noise level during operation and the higher cost compared to other brands, but overall the majority of customers recommend the Kohler brand.
Reviews from customers who have purchased Generac whole home generator
Generac customers also report satisfactory buying experiences, with many noting the generator’s ease of use and impressive performance during outages. Some reviewers have noted the noise level as a downside, but overall, the Generac brand has received high ratings and positive feedback from users.
Comparison of general user feedback
Overall, both Kohler and Generac customers report high levels of satisfaction with their whole home generators. It’s important to keep in mind that each customer’s experience may vary depending on factors such as usage, installation, and maintenance.
So, after reviewing the features, benefits, and user feedback of both Kohler vs Generac whole home generators, which one is the best choice for you? Ultimately, the decision will depend on your personal preferences and individual needs. For those seeking excellent reliability and build quality, Kohler is an excellent choice. However, if you’re on a tighter budget and prefer a relatively quieter operation, the Generac brand is worth the investment.
Recommendations for buying the best whole home generator
- Consider your budget and power needs when choosing a brand and model
- Ensure the generator is properly installed and maintained to ensure reliable performance
- Read reviews and feedback from other customers before making your purchase
Additional resources for further research
- The Kohler website
- The Generac website
- Consumer Reports generator buying guide
List of 10 kohler vs generac whole home generator
- SPEED UP YOUR RECHARGEABILITY: It takes only 2 hours to recharge 80% battery of the power station through the wall outlet and 60W PD USB-C port simultaneously. You can also recharge your power station with an AC adapator when at home, through the car outlet during a road trip or simply use a Jackery SolarSaga 100.
- SAFE & STEADY POWER SUPPLY: Armed with a 293Wh lithium-ion battery pack, the Explorer 300 features 2 Pure Sine Wave AC outlets that deliver stable and safe 300W power. The portable power station weighs only 7.1 pounds. You can simply rest assured in outdoor off-grid activities.
- POWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS: Featuring 2* AC outlet, 1* PD 60W USB-C port (input/output supported) , 1* fast charge 3.0 port, 1*USB-A port and 1* DC car port, the power station can recharge itself and charge (up to) 6 devices (e.g.Drones, Macbook, Cameras, etc.) at the same time to satisfy your outdoor needs.
- GREEN POWER SUPPLY: The power station is compatible with the Jackery SolarSaga 100 solar panel. The integrated MPPT controller enables the solar generator set to operate at its max power point, so that it speeds up the battery recharge, making them ideal portable power kits for tent camping, overland journey and etc.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1* Jackery Explorer 300 Portable Power Station , 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide
- [1 Hour AC Recharge] - Fully recharge the electric generator using an AC outlet in only 1 hour with EcoFlow's X-Stream fast charging technology.
- [Power All Your Essentials] - With an output of up to 600W, run 6 essential appliances simultaneously without worrying about overloading. With a whole host of ports, from 300W AC outlets to USB-C, we've got all your device's plugs covered.
- [LFP Long-Life Battery] - Using LFP battery cells, use and recharge RIVER 2 more than 3000 times before hitting 80%. That's almost 10 years of regular use. RIVER 2 includes advanced BMS protection, monitoring voltage, current, and temperature to keep your LFP battery running for years.
- [Fast Solar Charging] - Use clean, green renewable energy to recharge RIVER 2 power generator in as fast as 3 hours with 110W solar input.
- [Light & Portable] - With a lightweight of only 7.7 lbs, RIVER 2 is the ideal outdoor generator for all your off-grid adventures. With a built-in handle, this portable battery is easy and convenient to take anywhere you need power.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: The Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station has been featured as the "Best Portable Power Station for use in the outdoors" by Digital Trends. A classic choice for your pick.
- EASY TO CARRY: This entry-level portable power station is equipped with a 240Wh lithium-ion battery pack, weighing only at 6.6 pounds. The solid handle makes it easy to carry around for outdoor adventures such as Tent Camping, Road Trip, Backyard Camping, etc.
- VERSATILE POWER SOURCE: 1* Pure Sine Wave AC outlet (110V 200W 400W Peak), 2* USB-A ports (5V, 2.4A), and 1* 12V DC car port to charge your road trip essentials such as smartphones, laptops, cameras, fans, lights and so on. Pass-through charging is supported.
- GREEN POWER SUPPLY: The power station can be recharged by the Jackery SolarSaga 60 solar panel or SolarSaga 100 solar panel. Its built-in MPPT controller enables the solar panel to operate at its max power point for the power station to be recharged at its highest efficiency. TWO alternative ways to recharge: through the wall outlet or the car outlet.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1* Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station, 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide.
- All-new control center with a digital multimeter, push-button start, and a front-facing fuel interface allowing you to change your fuel type in seconds! The digital multimeter displays voltage, frequency, total hours run, and hours until the recommended maintenance
- This generator runs on gasoline or propane, giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice
- Equipped with DuroMax “CO Alert Technology” that will automatically shut down the generator if an unsafe level of carbon monoxide is detected
- Built using a powerful 500cc OHV DuroMax engine and features ALL COPPER WINDINGS designed to make your generator last for years
- The fully loaded power panel includes four 120V GFCI household outlets, one 120V 30AMP outlet, one 120/240V 30AMP twist-lock outlet, and a heavy-duty 120/240V 50AMP outlet making it transfer switch ready!
- Powerful DuroMax Engine: the XP12000EH is powered by a DuroMax, 457cc OHV engine..With Gasoline : Peak Wattage - 12,000., Running Wattage - 9,500., Running Amperage at 120V - 79.17., Running Amperage at 240V - 39.58., Runtime at 25% Load - 19., Runtime at 50% Load - 8With Propane : Peak Wattage - 11,400., Running Wattage - 9,025., Running Amperage at 120V - 75.21., Running Amperage at 240V - 37.6., Runtime at 25% Load - 14., Runtime at 50% Load - 7Please read the detailed safety instructions in the manual before operating.
- Dual fuel technology: the ability to run on propane or gasoline allows the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice. Protects your investment by automatically shutting the generator off when it senses that the oil is low
- Plenty of power: with 12,000 starting watts and 9, 500 running watts, This unit can handle heavy loads from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.
- Maximum power: with DuroMax MX2 technology, get the maximum power from each of the 120 volt receptacle. Choose between operating the generator at both 120 V and 240 V Simultaneously, or at 120 only with full power.
- Powering everyone anywhere: like all DuroMax generators, the XP12000EH is EPA and CARB approved For use in all 50 States.
- Clean and Unlimited Solar Energy: 100% green energy with smart MPPT controller for optimal charging efficiency. The power station can be fully charged with 2 Jackery SolarSaga 100W solar panels (Should be bought separately) within 6 hrs or only 5.5 hrs via AC wall outlet charging. Ideal for your camping or family emergency storage.
- Easy to Use: The ergonomic shape of the handle grants an ease grip. And use in one touch with simple and speedy setup within 60s to enjoy outstanding charging efficiency.
- Safe & Reliable for Outdoor Camping: Features industry-leading cylindrical batteries (popular with manufacturers of Electric Vehicles) that meet UL safety standards. Certified with Impact-Resistance Class 9, passing the UL drop test (withstanding 3 drops from 0.9m height on any surface). The pure sine wave inverter delivers constant voltage that protects equipment from damage.
- Power Pretty Much Anything: Power 90% home appliances with 1002Wh (1000W AC output power) and 8 outlets (3*AC outlet, 1*USB-A , 1*USB-A quick charge 3.0, 2*USB-C PD, 1*Car outlet). Ideal for outdoor off-grid activities and home backup power to power refrigerator, TV, mini cooler, electric grill, fan, and more for your outdoor and home needs.
- Quiet & Strong: At a such large capacity, this Explorer will leave you with VERY LITTLE to NO noise, giving you the peace and power all at once. Extra bonus for the built - unlike most other portable generators, this supports pass-through charging while its battery life is protected.
- 50 State Configuration/CSA
- Compact and Lightweight
- Makes transportation easy with built-in handle
- Automatically adjusts engine speeds to save fuel and reduce sound emissions
- Alert you when unit is low on oil, overloaded or ready-to-use
- 7 X Faster Charging. 0-80% in just 50 mins and 0-100% in 80 mins with AC input. That's ideal when you need home backup power and a quick charge using your wall outlet.
- Expandable Capacity from 1-3kWh. With the standalone portable power station sporting 1kWh, you can add on extra batteries to reach up to 3kWh. Ideal for camping, RVs or off-grid living.and a quick charge using your wall outlet.
- Power Almost Anything. Portable batteries have come a long way. Power all your appliances with 1800W output, that's on par with outdoor generators without the fumes or noise. With 15 outlets and its huge output, you can power 90% of your appliances.
- Clean, Green Charging. With up to 500W of solar panel input, DELTA 2 is a solar generator that can be charged while camping, on an RV trip or off-grid.
- Built to Last 6x Longer. Its LFP(LiFePO4) battery chemistry makes for a portable power station with a 3000+ cycle life. Enough for years on end of use. With a sophisticated BMS, you can go easy knowing its auto-regulating to keep you safe.
- 【Powerful Engine and Safe For Sensitive electronics 】The GENMAX 2200 Starting Watts Inverter Generator is powered by a 79.7cc 4- stroke OHV gas engine,with inverter technology produce 2200 Starting Watts/ 1800 Running Watts clean power (less than 3% THD), confidently connect your sensitive electronics such as TV, lights, fans, small power tools and more on camping trips, etc.
- 【Ultralight and Small Size】At only 41.8pounds, Light weight and compact , The sturdy handle makes it easy to carry for long distance.
- 【Extremely Quiet,Fuel Efficient】As Low as 58 dBA Noise Output and Up to 6 Hours of Run Time at 50% load on a 1 Gallon Gas Tank – Features “Economy Mode” for Maximum Fuel Efficiency.
- 【Power Panel】Includes low oil alarm, overload alarm,Co warning light and output indicator features “Eco mode” for conserving energy and maximum fuel efficiency ，two 120V/20A outlets, one 120V/30A outlets，Parallel ready.
- 【CO Detect Shutdown】 Includes CO Detect shutdown sensor for Prevention of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
- Switch between gasoline (11,000 surge watts, 8,300 running watt) and propane (9,500 surge, 7,500 running) with the simple turn of the selection dial
- Voltage easily goes from 120V to 240V, perfect for transfer switches and emergency backup
- Electric start powers the 457cc 4-stroke OHV engine with the turn of a key
- 6.6-gallon tank provides up to 8.5 hours of half load run time
- Includes four 120V GFCI outlets (5-20R), a 120V 30A twist lock outlet (L5-30R), a 120V/240V 50A outlet (NEMA 14-50R), a 12V DC cigarette-lighter-style plug, a bottle of oil, a 47-inch LPG connection hose, and a two-year warranty
People also ask
What is the difference between Kohler and Generac?
Kohler and Generac are two brands of whole home generators. While both brands offer reliable standby power solutions, the main difference lies in their respective features and capabilities.
What fuel options are available for Kohler and Generac generators?
Both Kohler and Generac whole home generators can be powered by natural gas or propane. However, Kohler also offers diesel fuel generators, while Generac does not.
How long can Kohler and Generac generators run on backup power?
The runtime of a Kohler or Generac whole home generator depends on the size of the unit and the amount of fuel available. On average, a Kohler or Generac generator can run for 24-48 hours on backup power before needing to be refueled.
What is the price range for Kohler and Generac whole home generators?
The cost of a Kohler or Generac whole home generator can vary depending on the size and features of the unit. However, on average, a Kohler or Generac generator can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $15,000.
What is the warranty for Kohler and Generac generators?
Both Kohler and Generac offer a warranty on their whole home generators. Kohler typically offers a 5-year limited warranty, while Generac offers a 5-10 year limited warranty depending on the specific model.
Which brand is better – Kohler or Generac?
The choice between Kohler and Generac ultimately comes down to personal preference and the specific needs of the homeowner. Both brands offer reliable standby power solutions, so it is recommended to do research and compare the features and capabilities of each before making a decision.