As a homeowner, one of the best investments you can make is in a backup generator to ensure that you have power during an outage. Two of the most popular brands on the market today are Kohler and Generac. In this review article, I will compare the Kohler 20kw Generator and Generac 20kw Generator. Let’s get started with a brief history of both brands.
Kohler, founded in 1873, is a leading manufacturer of power systems, including engines and generators. Generac, founded in 1959, is another well-known brand that specializes in backup power solutions.
The purpose of this review article is to help you decide which generator is best suited for your needs by comparing key factors such as power output, fuel efficiency, noise level, durability, warranty, and customer support.
II. Product Comparison
A. Power Output
When it comes to power output, both Kohler and Generac 20kw generators are rated for the same wattage. This is enough to power an entire home including large appliances such as air conditioners and refrigerators.
B. Fuel Efficiency
Kohler claims that its 20kw generator can run for up to 10 hours on a full tank of natural gas or propane. Meanwhile, Generac’s 20kw generator can run for up to 14.5 hours on the same amount of fuel. This means that Generac is more fuel-efficient than Kohler.
C. Noise Level
Kohler’s 20kw generator emits 64 decibels of noise while Generac’s 20kw generator emits 66 decibels. Both generators are considered to be relatively quiet, but Kohler wins in this category with a slightly lower noise level.
Both Kohler and Generac are known for producing high-quality products, but when it comes to durability, Kohler appears to be the better choice. Kohler’s 20kw generator is made with a corrosion-resistant aluminum enclosure while Generac’s enclosure is made of steel that is susceptible to rust over time.
E. Warranty and Customer Support
Kohler offers a 5-year limited warranty on its 20kw generator, while Generac offers a 2-year limited warranty. Kohler also has a reputation for excellent customer support, which includes a hotline for technical support and a network of authorized dealers for repairs and maintenance.
III. Pros and Cons
A. Kohler 20kw Generator
– Corrosion-resistant enclosure
– 5-year limited warranty
– Excellent customer support
– Slightly less fuel-efficient
– Higher price point
B. Generac 20kw Generator
– More fuel-efficient
– Lower price point
– Long history of reliable products
– Steel enclosure that may rust over time
– Only a 2-year limited warranty
After comparing both generators, my personal recommendation would be the Kohler 20kw generator. Although it has a higher price point, it offers better durability and customer support with a longer warranty. The slightly lower fuel efficiency is a small trade-off for investing in a high-quality product that will last for years to come.
V. Additional Information
To purchase a Kohler or Generac generator, check out the links below. It’s important to note that proper installation and maintenance is crucial to ensure the longevity of your generator. Be sure to read up on these topics before investing in a generator.
If you are experiencing any common generator problems, such as a low battery or blocked air filter, check out our guide on how to fix them.
VI. Expert Opinion
We interviewed John, an expert in generator technology, to get his thoughts on Kohler and Generac 20kw generators. “Both brands are reputable and produce high-quality products,” he says. “However, if I had to choose, I would go for the Kohler 20kw generator due to its superior durability and warranty.”
Q. Do Kohler and Generac generators have similar power output?
A. Yes, both brands’ 20kw generators have the same wattage.
Q. Which generator is more fuel-efficient?
A. Generac’s 20kw generator is more fuel efficient than Kohler’s.
Q. What is the warranty for Kohler and Generac generators?
A. Kohler offers a 5-year limited warranty while Generac’s warranty lasts for 2 years.
Sources used in this article include:
– Kohler website: https://www.kohlerpower.com/home/home-generators/generators-overview/kohler-generators
– Generac website: https://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators/generac-20kw-home-backup-generator-qt020
– Consumer Reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/home-generators/generac-vs-kohler-home-generators/
– John, an expert in generator technology.
List of 10 kohler vs generac 2017 20kw generator
- Scheduled maintenance kit is for standby home generators
- For use with the 20kW and 22kW air cooled standby generators from 2013 or later (999cc engine)
- Maintenance is recommended every 200-hours or 2-years
- Includes a pre-cleaner, air filter, oil filter, oil funnel, (2) spark plugs, blue cloth, instruction manual and maintenance sticker
- Oil must be purchased separately
- All-new control center with a digital multimeter, push-button start, and a front-facing fuel interface allowing you to change your fuel type in seconds! The digital multimeter displays voltage, frequency, total hours run, and hours until the recommended maintenance
- This generator runs on gasoline or propane, giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice
- Equipped with DuroMax “CO Alert Technology” that will automatically shut down the generator if an unsafe level of carbon monoxide is detected
- Built using a powerful 500cc OHV DuroMax engine and features ALL COPPER WINDINGS designed to make your generator last for years
- The fully loaded power panel includes four 120V GFCI household outlets, one 120V 30AMP outlet, one 120/240V 30AMP twist-lock outlet, and a heavy-duty 120/240V 50AMP outlet making it transfer switch ready!
- POWERFUL DUROMAX ENGINE: The XP13000EH is powered by a 500cc OHV Duromax Engine. Engine Speed-3600 RPM. Wheel Diameter-10-Inches .With Gasoline : Peak Wattage - 13,000., Running Wattage - 10,500., Running Amperage at 120V - 87.5., Running Amperage at 240V - 43.75., Runtime at 25% Load - 17., Runtime at 50% Load - 8With Propane : Peak Wattage - 12,350., Running Wattage - 9,975., Running Amperage at 120V - 83.13., Running Amperage at 240V - 41.56., Runtime at 25% Load - 13., Runtime at 50% Load - 6Please read the detailed safety instructions in the manual before operating.
- DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY: The ability to run on Propane or Gasoline allows the Freedom and Flexibility of Fuel Choice.
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 13,000 starting watts and 10,500 watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights, refrigerators, home conditioners and high amperage power tools.
- MAXIMUM POWER: The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 1 120/240V 50A heavy duty outlet, 1 120/240V 30A twist lock outlet, 1 120V 30A twist lock outlet, and 2 120V 20A household outlets.
- POWERING EVERYONE ANYWHERE: Like all DuroMax generators, the XP13000EH is EPA and CARB approved for use in all 50 states.
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 11 Hours of Run Time on a 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge. Grounding System-Bonded Neutral
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Plug-and-Play: Comes with a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User's Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve with Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed by 3-Year Limited Service, Labor, and Parts Coverage with Nationwide Customer Service Network
- 1 Air filter
- 1 Pre-cleaner
- 1 Oil filter
- 3 Quarts of synthetic oil
- 2 Spark plugs
- Genuine OEM Generac parts
- Genuine OEM Generac Part
- Fits Specific Generac Engine Models That Require This Part Number
- Generac SYNTHETIC OEM Oil (2 Quarts)
- 70185E OEM Oil Filter
- Oil absorbent pad to prevent spilling on floors and other surfaces
- Universal Generator Parts replacement filter for 0J8478S
- Generac Oil Filter part number 070185ES
- 2 Spark Plugs (Champion RC12YC or Equivalent)
- If you are not sure if this kit is the correct kit for your generator please feel free to contact us.
- This kit works on the following model numbers: 6055, 6098, 6103, 6244, 6250, 6258, 6551, 6279, 7034,7035,7036, 7037, 7038, 7039, 7040, 7041, 7042, 7043, 7045, 7048, 7049, 7077, 7078, 7141, 7142, 7145, 7146, 7163, 7173, 7174, 7175, 7176, 7177, 7178, 7189, 7209, 7210, 7218, 7219, 7291
- ULTRA-QUIET – 40% Quieter than Honda Advanced inverter technology and enclosure design provide optimal quiet performance (Over 5 dB(A) quieter than the EU3000is, based on independent third-party testing)
- Ideal for work or play - durable steel enclosure, clean inverter power and easy portability make this the ideal generator for jobsites or recreational activities
- 16% more power than Honda, Featuring power rush advanced technology.Rated AC Frequency:60 Hz
- Digital smart lcd - digital wattage meter, run time remaining display, generator status, hour meter and fuel level
- USB ports - charge mobile devices including smartphones and tablets
People also ask
What is the difference between a Kohler and Generac 2017 20KW Generator?
Both the Kohler and Generac 2017 20KW generators are excellent choices, but there are a few differences between the two. The Kohler generator is generally quieter than the Generac, and the Kohler comes with a 5-year warranty compared to the Generac’s 3-year warranty. The Kohler also has a more sophisticated digital controller and is considered more reliable for powering sensitive electronics.
What is the fuel consumption of a Kohler and Generac 2017 20KW Generator?
The fuel consumption of both generators is fairly similar, with both consuming about 2.75-3 cubic feet of natural gas per hour. However, the Kohler has a slightly larger fuel tank and can run for around 24 hours at 50% load, while the Generac can run for about 18-20 hours at the same load.
What is the noise level of a Kohler and Generac 2017 20KW Generator?
The Kohler generator is generally quieter than the Generac, producing around 63 decibels (dB) at 7 meters away, while the Generac produces around 66dB at the same distance. Both generators are considered relatively quiet, and their noise levels are comparable to normal conversation.
What is the overall cost of a Kohler and Generac 2017 20KW Generator?
The overall cost of the Kohler and Generac 2017 20KW generators can vary depending on several factors, such as installation fees and optional features. However, generally, the Kohler generator is more expensive than the Generac, with a price range of $4,200 to $5,700, while the Generac’s price range is around $3,700 to $4,600.
Which generator brand is recommended for home use?
Both Kohler and Generac are well-respected brands and offer excellent 20KW generators for home use. However, based on factors like warranty, better digital control, and noise level, the Kohler generator may be a better option for home use.