Having a whole house generator is an essential home accessory for any homeowner. It can provide peace of mind and security by ensuring that your home remains powered during natural disasters or grid outages. But with so many options on the market, it can be challenging to find the right one. In this article, I will be comparing Cummins and Generac whole house generators, two of the most popular options, providing insights to help buyers make the right decision.
Cummins Whole House Generator
Cummins is an industry leader in the production of high-quality engines and power equipment. Their whole house generators are well-known for their reliability and longevity. These generators can provide an impressive power output ranging from 13kW to 45 kW and come equipped with advanced features such as remote monitoring, automatic transfer switches, and more.
One key advantage of owning a Cummins whole house generator is its fuel efficiency. Their innovative technology provides excellent fuel economy, ensuring that you maximize your energy needs while minimizing fuel consumption costs. However, one disadvantage of owning a Cummins generator is its higher upfront cost. Compared to other brands, Cummins generators come with a steeper price tag.
Based on customer reviews, Cummins whole house generators have received high marks for reliability and long-term durability. Customers have praised the quick and attentive customer service that Cummins provides, which can be crucial during times of crisis.
Generac Whole House Generator
Generac is another leading brand in the whole house generator market. Their generators are highly regarded for their affordability and high performance. Generac whole house generators come in a range of power outputs, from 9kW to 22kW, and are equipped with user-friendly features such as a digital controller and an auto-shutdown for low oil levels.
One significant advantage of owning a Generac whole house generator is its ease of installation and maintenance. Generac generators come with clear instructions and are designed to be installed by a licensed electrician. Maintenance is also made easy, as Generac provides comprehensive manuals and instructional videos to help keep your generator running properly.
However, one disadvantage of owning a Generac whole house generator is its noise level. When compared to other brands, Generac generators tend to be a bit louder, which can be a nuisance to some homeowners.
Based on customer reviews, Generac is highly regarded for their customer service and prompt support during times of need. Many customers have praised the brand for their quick response times and efficient resolution of issues.
When comparing Cummins and Generac whole house generators, it’s essential to consider performance factors such as power output and capacity, fuel efficiency, noise levels, ease of installation and maintenance, durability, and reliability.
In terms of power output and capacity, Cummins takes the lead, offering a much wider range of options compared to Generac. Fuel efficiency also leans towards Cummins, but the difference is minimal.
When it comes to noise levels, Generac falls short of Cummins. Cummins generators emit less noise, making them a better option for homeowners who prioritize quietness.
Ease of installation and maintenance is also an essential factor to consider. Here, Generac has the upper hand, with simpler and more straightforward instructions for installation and maintenance.
Both Cummins and Generac have an excellent reputation for product durability and reliability. However, based on customer feedback, Cummins generators tend to last longer, and they provide more reliable services than Generac.
User Experience Comparison
Aside from performance, it’s essential to consider user experience factors such as customer service, product warranty, and emergency support.
Cummins and Generac both have excellent customer service, with dedicated support teams always ready to assist their customers. However, many customers have commended Cummins for their exceptional customer service during times of crisis.
Both brands offer product warranties, but Generac offers a more comprehensive warranty compared to Cummins. Generac offers a 10-year warranty on their generators, while Cummins offers a 5-year warranty.
In terms of emergency support, Generac provides ample resources and support to their customers. They have a 24/7 customer hotline and a comprehensive online help center with instructional videos and manuals. Cummins also offers 24/7 customer support, but some customers have reported longer wait times than Generac.
When it comes to choosing between Cummins and Generac whole house generators, it’s essential to consider your individual needs and preferences. Based on my research, Cummins provides more reliable and durable generators but comes with a higher upfront cost. Generac, on the other hand, offers more affordable generators that are easier to install and maintain but tend to be louder and less fuel-efficient.
Ultimately, the choice between the two brands will depend on your specific needs and preferences as a homeowner. I hope this article has provided useful insights to help you make an informed decision.
Don’t hesitate to share your experiences or ask questions in the comments section below.
List of 10 cummins vs generac whole house generator
- Scheduled maintenance kit is for standby home generators
- For use with the 20kW and 22kW air cooled standby generators from 2013 or later (999cc engine)
- Maintenance is recommended every 200-hours or 2-years
- Includes a pre-cleaner, air filter, oil filter, oil funnel, (2) spark plugs, blue cloth, instruction manual and maintenance sticker
- Oil must be purchased separately
- All-new control center with a digital multimeter, push-button start, and a front-facing fuel interface allowing you to change your fuel type in seconds! The digital multimeter displays voltage, frequency, total hours run, and hours until the recommended maintenance
- This generator runs on gasoline or propane, giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice
- Equipped with DuroMax “CO Alert Technology” that will automatically shut down the generator if an unsafe level of carbon monoxide is detected
- Built using a powerful 500cc OHV DuroMax engine and features ALL COPPER WINDINGS designed to make your generator last for years
- The fully loaded power panel includes four 120V GFCI household outlets, one 120V 30AMP outlet, one 120/240V 30AMP twist-lock outlet, and a heavy-duty 120/240V 50AMP outlet making it transfer switch ready!
- Clean and Unlimited Solar Energy: 100% green energy with smart MPPT controller for optimal charging efficiency. The power station can be fully charged with 2 Jackery SolarSaga 100W solar panels (Should be bought separately) within 6 hrs or only 5.5 hrs via AC wall outlet charging. Ideal for your camping or family emergency storage.
- Easy to Use: The ergonomic shape of the handle grants an ease grip. And use in one touch with simple and speedy setup within 60s to enjoy outstanding charging efficiency.
- Safe & Reliable for Outdoor Camping: Features industry-leading cylindrical batteries (popular with manufacturers of Electric Vehicles) that meet UL safety standards. Certified with Impact-Resistance Class 9, passing the UL drop test (withstanding 3 drops from 0.9m height on any surface). The pure sine wave inverter delivers constant voltage that protects equipment from damage.
- Power Pretty Much Anything: Power 90% home appliances with 1002Wh (1000W AC output power) and 8 outlets (3*AC outlet, 1*USB-A , 1*USB-A quick charge 3.0, 2*USB-C PD, 1*Car outlet). Ideal for outdoor off-grid activities and home backup power to power refrigerator, TV, mini cooler, electric grill, fan, and more for your outdoor and home needs.
- Quiet & Strong: At a such large capacity, this Explorer will leave you with VERY LITTLE to NO noise, giving you the peace and power all at once. Extra bonus for the built - unlike most other portable generators, this supports pass-through charging while its battery life is protected.
- POWERFUL DUROMAX ENGINE: The XP13000EH is powered by a 500cc OHV Duromax Engine. Engine Speed-3600 RPM. Wheel Diameter-10-Inches .With Gasoline : Peak Wattage - 13,000., Running Wattage - 10,500., Running Amperage at 120V - 87.5., Running Amperage at 240V - 43.75., Runtime at 25% Load - 17., Runtime at 50% Load - 8With Propane : Peak Wattage - 12,350., Running Wattage - 9,975., Running Amperage at 120V - 83.13., Running Amperage at 240V - 41.56., Runtime at 25% Load - 13., Runtime at 50% Load - 6Please read the detailed safety instructions in the manual before operating.
- DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY: The ability to run on Propane or Gasoline allows the Freedom and Flexibility of Fuel Choice.
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 13,000 starting watts and 10,500 watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights, refrigerators, home conditioners and high amperage power tools.
- MAXIMUM POWER: The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 1 120/240V 50A heavy duty outlet, 1 120/240V 30A twist lock outlet, 1 120V 30A twist lock outlet, and 2 120V 20A household outlets.
- POWERING EVERYONE ANYWHERE: Like all DuroMax generators, the XP13000EH is EPA and CARB approved for use in all 50 states.
- 【Powerful Engine and Safe For Sensitive electronics 】The GENMAX 2000 Starting Watts Inverter Generator is powered by a 79.7cc 4- stroke OHV gas engine,with inverter technology produce 2000 Starting Watts/ 1600 Running Watts clean power (less than 3% THD), confidently connect your sensitive electronics such as TV, lights, fans, small power tools and more on camping trips, etc.
- 【Ultralight and Small Size】At only 34pounds, GM2000i is one of the lightest 2000w inverter in this industry. The sturdy handle makes it easy to carry for long distance.
- 【Extremely Quiet,Fuel Efficient】 As Low as 60 dBA Noise Output, Run for 8 hours at 50% load on a 1 gallon tank， Features “Economy Mode” for Maximum Fuel Efficiency.
- 【Power Panel】Includes low oil alarm, overload alarm,Co warning light and output indicator features “Eco mode” for conserving energy and maximum fuel efficiency ，120V/20A outlets and one5V / 1A outlets , one 5V / 2.1A outlets .parallel ready.
- 【CO Detect Shutdown】 Includes CO Detect shutdown sensor for Prevention of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
- Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb.Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb
- Extremely quiet operation minimizes noise;, EPA III and CARB Compliant
- 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5 hours
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down
- Produces clean power to prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smart phones, tablets and laptops
- 50 State Configuration/CSA
- Compact and Lightweight
- Makes transportation easy with built-in handle
- Automatically adjusts engine speeds to save fuel and reduce sound emissions
- Alert you when unit is low on oil, overloaded or ready-to-use
- Scheduled maintenance kit is for standby home generators
- Kit for 12-18-Kilowatt 760cc - 990cc Engines
- Maintenance is recommended every 200-hours or 2-years
- Includes a pre-cleaner, air filter, oil filter, oil funnel, (2) spark plugs, chamois, instruction manual and preventative maintenance reminder sticker
- Oil must be purchased separately
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 11 Hours of Run Time on a 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge. Grounding System-Bonded Neutral
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Plug-and-Play: Comes with a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User's Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve with Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed by 3-Year Limited Service, Labor, and Parts Coverage with Nationwide Customer Service Network
- [3 x AC OUTLETS AND 720Wh CAPACITY]: The RIVER Pro as a generator can power up to 10 devices simultaneously with multiple outlet options, including 3 pure sine wave AC outlets. Note that the total rated wattage of the AC outlets should be under 600W (surge 1200W). It offers up to 720Wh power and it weighs just 15.9lbs, which makes it a portable power station for adventure on the go.
- [RECHARGE FROM 0-80% WITHIN 1 HOUR]: The patented EcoFlow X-Stream technology enables you to charge the RIVER Pro from 0%-80% within one hour and offers a full charge in just 1.6 hours.
- [POWER A WIDE RANGE OF APPLIANCES]: With a built-in 600W inverter, the RIVER Pro can power some devices up to 1800W with the X-Boost mode on, which lets you power about 80% of essential devices like kitchen appliances and DIY tools. Please conduct full test on a case-by-case basis to see if the X-Boost feature can work with your appliances. Use devices below 1200W for the best product use.
- [DOUBLE CAPACITY FROM 720Wh to 1440Wh]: Add a RIVER Pro Extra Battery to double the capacity from 720Wh to 1440Wh. This is ideal for situations like traveling, camping, or group outdoor activities where you need more power for more devices. RIVER Pro Extra Battery is sold separately.
- [24-MONTH PRODUCT GUARANTEE]: The RIVER Pro portable power station comes with a 24-month product guarantee, and EcoFlow offers a 24x7 specialist customer service. In the box: 1x RIVER Pro, 1x AC Charging Cable, 1x Car Charging Cable, 1x DC5521-DC5525 Cable, 1x RIVER Pro User Manual, 1x RIVER Pro GUARANTEE Card.
People also ask
What is Cummins?
Cummins is a company that designs, manufactures, and distributes engines, power generation products, and related components.
What is Generac?
Generac is a company that specializes in manufacturing standby, portable, and residential generators that run on natural gas or propane.
What are the differences between Cummins and Generac generators?
Both Cummins and Generac generators are reliable and efficient, but there are a few differences between the two. For example, Cummins generators are known for their durability and high-quality power output, while Generac generators are praised for their ease of use and affordability.
Which generator is better for a whole house?
Both Cummins and Generac generators are suitable for powering an entire house during an outage, but the best choice depends on individual needs and preferences. Cummins generators are more powerful and reliable but come at a higher cost, while Generac generators are more affordable and easy to use.
What fuel type do Cummins and Generac generators use?
Cummins and Generac generators can run on natural gas or propane, making them convenient and efficient.
What size generator do I need for my home?
The size of the generator needed for a home depends on the power requirements of the home. It is recommended to consult a professional to determine the appropriate size of the generator based on the appliances that need to be powered during an outage.