Hey there, fellow homeowners! Today I want to talk about an important investment any homeowner should consider when experiencing power outages – a standby generator. In this review, I will compare two widely respected brands – Cummins and Generac.
Cummins and Generac are two of the industry’s most reputable brands when it comes to standby generators. The purpose of this review is to help you decide which brand is better for your needs. Whether you’re looking for a generator with exceptional performance, ease of use, or low maintenance, there are pros and cons of each model.
Design and Features
The design and exterior appearance of a standby generator is an important factor when choosing which one to buy. Cummins and Generac both provide excellent designs, but their appearance differs slightly. Cummins generators are sleek, compact, and have a modern appearance. Generac generators, on the other hand, are bulkier but have a traditional appliance-like appearance.
Both generators have a lot of features, such as remote monitoring, scheduling options, and internet connectivity. However, the Generac generator has more advanced features like a mobile application that allows you to control the generator from your phone.
When it comes to functionality and ease of use, the Cummins model is easier to install, and it has a more intuitive control panel. However, the Generac model has a higher amount of technical features which, although more complicated to control, provide greater functions to users.
The similarities and differences between Cummins and Generac generators are easy to spot when it comes to power output and capability. Cummins provides a standard range of power ranging from 13kW up to 20 kW. In contrast, Generac offers more power outputs ranging from 9kw to over 48kw for the largest generator in their line. Thus, if you’re looking for a generator that can handle a large or high demand, Generac is generally the way to go. Additionally, users of Cummins generators have found the generator to be quieter than the Generac, making it more desirable for those of us who enjoy a bit of peace and quiet in the midst of a power outage.
Furthermore, while both generators are efficient in operation, the Generac generator has a higher level of fuel economy due to its advanced features that help it conserve energy.
However, when it comes to determining which generator offers the best value for money, Cummins takes the cake. The Cummins model provides excellent functionality and power output, while remaining quiet and efficient, trading off a few additional functions in favor of a lower price tag.
Maintenance and Warranty
The maintenance of standby generators can be quite daunting, but Cummins and Generac have done well in terms of making the maintenance of their generators as simple as possible. Both models require periodic maintenance such as changing the oil filter and spark plugs. However, the Generac model requires more frequent maintenance than the Cummins one, highlighting the difference in technical intricacy.
Cummins offers a 4-year limited warranty for their standby generators as opposed to the Generac standard 3-year warranty. In addition, Cummins offers an optional 5-year warranty extension, which provides greater protection if any unforeseen circumstances arise during ownership.
In terms of reliability and value, the Cummins model stands out not only because of its lower maintenance frequency, but also because it offers more generous warranty terms to ensure maximum peace of mind.
Lastly, customer satisfaction is one of the most significant metrics when determining the value and performance of a product, and it is no different for standby generators.
After analyzing various reviews, it is clear that Cummins and Generac generators are both very well received by customers. Cummins generators tend to have higher consumer satisfaction ratings due to their simplicity and ease of use. In contrast, Generac generators tend to have more reviews on aggregate, which may contribute to the perception of a higher degree of confidence in the brand.
Both Cummins and Generac generators have a lot of great features and benefits, but the decision ultimately comes to your needs and preferences.
In conclusion, Cummins is the more reliable and satisfied product for homeowners who are after excellent performance and durability while providing ease of use and a better value for the money.
When considering purchasing a standby generator, be sure to weigh the factors and determine what’s most important to you. Hopefully, this review helps you in making an informed decision that suits the needs of your household.
List of 10 cummins home standby generator vs generac
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: The Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station has been featured as the "Best Portable Power Station for use in the outdoors" by Digital Trends. A classic choice for your pick.
- EASY TO CARRY: This entry-level portable power station is equipped with a 240Wh lithium-ion battery pack, weighing only at 6.6 pounds. The solid handle makes it easy to carry around for outdoor adventures such as Tent Camping, Road Trip, Backyard Camping, etc.
- VERSATILE POWER SOURCE: 1* Pure Sine Wave AC outlet (110V 200W 400W Peak), 2* USB-A ports (5V, 2.4A), and 1* 12V DC car port to charge your road trip essentials such as smartphones, laptops, cameras, fans, lights and so on. Pass-through charging is supported.
- GREEN POWER SUPPLY: The power station can be recharged by the Jackery SolarSaga 60 solar panel or SolarSaga 100 solar panel. Its built-in MPPT controller enables the solar panel to operate at its max power point for the power station to be recharged at its highest efficiency. TWO alternative ways to recharge: through the wall outlet or the car outlet.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1* Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station, 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide.
- Scheduled maintenance kit is for standby home generators
- For use with the 20kW and 22kW air cooled standby generators from 2013 or later (999cc engine)
- Maintenance is recommended every 200-hours or 2-years
- Includes a pre-cleaner, air filter, oil filter, oil funnel, (2) spark plugs, blue cloth, instruction manual and maintenance sticker
- Oil must be purchased separately
- All-new control center with a digital multimeter, push-button start, and a front-facing fuel interface allowing you to change your fuel type in seconds! The digital multimeter displays voltage, frequency, total hours run, and hours until the recommended maintenance
- This generator runs on gasoline or propane, giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice
- Equipped with DuroMax “CO Alert Technology” that will automatically shut down the generator if an unsafe level of carbon monoxide is detected
- Built using a powerful 500cc OHV DuroMax engine and features ALL COPPER WINDINGS designed to make your generator last for years
- The fully loaded power panel includes four 120V GFCI household outlets, one 120V 30AMP outlet, one 120/240V 30AMP twist-lock outlet, and a heavy-duty 120/240V 50AMP outlet making it transfer switch ready!
- 50 State Configuration/CSA
- Compact and Lightweight
- Makes transportation easy with built-in handle
- Automatically adjusts engine speeds to save fuel and reduce sound emissions
- Alert you when unit is low on oil, overloaded or ready-to-use
- POWERFUL DUROMAX ENGINE: The XP13000EH is powered by a 500cc OHV Duromax Engine. Engine Speed-3600 RPM. Wheel Diameter-10-Inches .With Gasoline : Peak Wattage - 13,000., Running Wattage - 10,500., Running Amperage at 120V - 87.5., Running Amperage at 240V - 43.75., Runtime at 25% Load - 17., Runtime at 50% Load - 8With Propane : Peak Wattage - 12,350., Running Wattage - 9,975., Running Amperage at 120V - 83.13., Running Amperage at 240V - 41.56., Runtime at 25% Load - 13., Runtime at 50% Load - 6Please read the detailed safety instructions in the manual before operating.
- DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY: The ability to run on Propane or Gasoline allows the Freedom and Flexibility of Fuel Choice.
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 13,000 starting watts and 10,500 watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights, refrigerators, home conditioners and high amperage power tools.
- MAXIMUM POWER: The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 1 120/240V 50A heavy duty outlet, 1 120/240V 30A twist lock outlet, 1 120V 30A twist lock outlet, and 2 120V 20A household outlets.
- POWERING EVERYONE ANYWHERE: Like all DuroMax generators, the XP13000EH is EPA and CARB approved for use in all 50 states.
- Clean and Unlimited Solar Energy: 100% green energy with smart MPPT controller for optimal charging efficiency. The power station can be fully charged with 2 Jackery SolarSaga 100W solar panels within 6 hrs or only 5.5 hrs via AC wall outlet charging. Ideal for your camping or family emergency storage.
- Easy to Use in Seconds: Just one simple touch to finish setup within 60s to enjoy outstanding charging efficiency.
- Safe & Reliable for Outdoor Camping: Features industry-leading cylindrical batteries (popular with manufacturers of Electric Vehicles) that meet UL safety standards. Certified with Impact-Resistance Class 9, passing the UL drop test (withstanding 3 drops from 0.9m height on any surface). The pure sine wave inverter delivers constant voltage that protects equipment from damage.
- Power Pretty Much Anything: Power 90% home appliances with 1002Wh (1000W AC output power) and 8 outlets (3*AC outlet, 1*USB-A , 1*USB-A quick charge 3.0, 2*USB-C PD, 1*Car outlet). Ideal for outdoor off-grid activities and home backup power to power refrigerator, TV, mini cooler, electric grill, fan, and more for your outdoor and home needs.
- Quiet & Strong: At such a large capacity, this Explorer will leave you with VERY LITTLE to NO noise, giving you the peace and power all at once. Extra bonus for the built - unlike most other portable generators, this supports pass-through charging while its battery life is protected.
- plenty of power – with 13,000 starting watts and 10,500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools
- dual fuel technology – this generator runs on gasoline or propane, giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice
- powerful engine – the durostar 500cc ohv engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy duty power tools
- idle control – lowers the rpms of the generator when not in use, saving fuel and reducing noise. ideal on job sites where power is used intermittently
- fully featured power panel – the power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 2 120v household gfci outlets, (1) 120v 30a twist lock outlet, (1) 240v 30a outlet, and (1) 240v 50a outlet, and a 12v automotive outlet. the panel also includes a digital voltmeter
- Generator Power Inlet Box: Power inlet box is an outdoor/watertight electrical inlet for a 30 Amp L14-30 generator cord. 125/250V, 7500W. Max wire Gauge:10AWG. It is designed to be installed outdoors in an open area where the generator is being used and perfect for backup power during a power outage.
- Safety Assurance: It is designed to be located outdoors where the generator is running to prevent dangerous carbon monoxide fumes from the generator from entering your house. This inlet box is then safely hardwired through an outside wall directly to the transfer switch or panel, eliminating the need for cords running through windows or doors. Our generator power inlet box passed the certifications of ETL.
- Best Space Design & Easy to Install: Compared with ordinary boxes, we have increased the wiring space by 50%. There are generous wiring space and facilitates through-in. The front of the box is removable for easy placement and wiring.
- Weatherproof & Anty-rust: The front entry inlet has a weatherproof spring cover which closes when not in use to protect the inlet from the elements. The surface of the power inlet box with anti-corrosive powder-coat paint which can resist weather damage like rain, UV, will not rust.
- Green Light Indication: New upgraded version provide a Green Power Indicator. There will be on a green light on the flip lid when plugging into the generator cord and powering on the generator. It gives a visibly clear indication when it is working and inlet is ready to use, which provides optimum performance and added safety.
- 7500 Running Watts and 9500 Peak Watts; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 11 Hours of Run Time on a 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge. Grounding System-Bonded Neutral
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5-20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Plug-and-Play: Comes with a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User's Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Powered by a 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve with Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed by 3-Year Limited Service, Labor, and Parts Coverage with Nationwide Customer Service Network
People also ask
What is a Cummins Home Standby Generator?
A Cummins Home Standby Generator is a backup power solution that automatically turns on during a power outage. It is a reliable and efficient generator that keeps your lights and appliances working when the electricity goes out.
What is a Generac Generator?
Generac is a brand of backup generators that provides power during a power outage. It is known for its reliability and ease of use, and is a popular choice for homeowners in need of a backup power source.
What are the main differences between a Cummins Home Standby Generator and a Generac Generator?
The main differences between a Cummins Home Standby Generator and a Generac Generator are:
- Cummins generators are generally more expensive than Generac, but they are built to a higher quality standard and are more durable
- Generac generators are more readily available and require less maintenance
- Cummins generators are quieter than Generac generators
What sizes are available for Cummins and Generac generators?
Cummins and Generac generators come in a range of sizes to suit homes of different sizes and power requirements. Cummins generators can range from 13 kW to 150 kW, while Generac generators range from 7.5 kW to 150 kW.
How long do Cummins and Generac generators last?
Cummins and Generac generators are built to last and can provide reliable backup power for years to come. The lifespan of your generator will depend on factors such as usage, maintenance, and climate conditions.
Do both Cummins and Generac generators come with a warranty?
Yes, both Cummins and Generac generators come with a warranty. The length and terms of the warranty will depend on the specific model and manufacturer.
Which generator should I choose?
The generator you choose will depend on a number of factors, including your budget, power requirements, and personal preferences. Both Cummins and Generac generators are reliable and efficient backup power solutions, so it’s important to do your research and choose the generator that best fits your needs.